New York's Medicaid program provides comprehensive health insurance to lower-income New Yorkers.
- Medicaid pays for a wide-range of services, depending on your age, financial circumstances, family situation, or living arrangements.
- These services are provided through a large network of health care providers that you can access directly using your Medicaid card or through your managed care plan if you are enrolled in managed care.
There is no monthly premium for Medicaid. Some services may have small co-payments, which can be waived if you cannot afford them.
You can enroll in Medicaid at any time during the year through NY State of Health. Instructions on how to enroll are available here.
- Read the Medicaid At a Glance card to learn about eligibility factors, covered benefits, and cost sharing.
- Use the Plans by County Tool to learn what health plans are available in your county for Medicaid.
- Use the NYS Provider & Health Plan Look-Up tool when you are deciding which health plan to enroll in or when you are looking for a provider, for example a hospital or doctor, that works with your plan.
- Visit the NYS Department of Health's Medicaid website if you are looking for other information.
Do you or a family member already have health insurance through Medicaid?
Starting in Spring 2023, New York State will restart eligibility checks to make sure enrollees still qualify for Medicaid, the Essential Plan, and Child Health Plus. This means you may need to take action to renew your health insurance or the insurance of your family members. Learn more here.