Press Release: NY State of Health 2018 Enrollment Continues to Exceed 2017 Levels
Don’t Delay: Deadline to Enroll is January 31st
Customer Service Center Hours Extended Before Deadline
ALBANY, N.Y. (January 18, 2018) - NY State of Health, the state’s official health plan Marketplace, today announced that enrollment for 2018 continues to outpace enrollment from 2017. Higher enrollment shows ongoing consumer demand for the affordable, quality health plans offered by the Marketplace.
Enrollment Highlights as of January 16, 2018:
- 243,600 consumers have enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP), reflecting an increase of nearly 15,000 since last reported in mid-December and exceeding enrollment levels at the end of open enrollment in 2017.
- Among the QHP enrollees, 54,700 are new and 188,900 are returning customers.
- Enrollment in the popular Essential Plan for lower income New Yorkers reached 726,300, reflecting an increase of more than 10,000 people since last reported in mid-December.
“New Yorkers need and want affordable coverage; that’s clear from ongoing increases in the number of people buying health plans through the Marketplace,” said NY State of Health Executive Director Donna Frescatore. “With the January 31st deadline approaching, anyone who needs health coverage for 2018 should enroll now.”
NY State of Health’s advertising and outreach efforts will increase in the last few weeks of January to ensure that New Yorkers know about the upcoming enrollment deadline. This will include an increase in paid advertising, targeted email reminders to consumers, and participation in more than 85 events across the state.
The NY State of Health website and Customer Service Center continue to experience high traffic and volume. The Customer Service Center received nearly 1.5 million calls between November 1st and January 16th. Similarly, the NY State of Health website had more than 1.6 million unique visitors who collectively viewed over 86 million web pages since November 1st. Website and call volumes are expected to increase as the January 31st deadline approaches. Enrollment across Marketplace programs is expected to increase accordingly in these final two weeks.
Consumers can enroll in a health plan:
- Online at nystateofhealth.ny.gov
- By calling the Customer Service Center at 1-855-355-5777 which is open:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Extended hours on: Saturday, January 27, 9:00 a.m. –4:00 p.m.
- With the help of an in-person assistor. Find one here.
Enrollment in a Qualified Health Plan continues through January 31, 2018. After that date, individuals can enroll in a Qualified Health Plan only if they have a life event such as loss of coverage, marriage or birth of a child that qualifies them for a Special Enrollment Period. Enrollment in Medicaid, Child Health Plus and the Essential Plan continues throughout the year.
NY State Department of Health
518-474-7354 ext. 1
About NY State of Health
New York opened its health plan Marketplace, NY State of Health, in October 2013. The Marketplace’s one stop health insurance shopping experience offers high quality comprehensive health plans. NY State of Health is the only place where consumers can qualify to get help paying for coverage through premium discounts or tax credits. Eligible New Yorkers can also enroll in Medicaid, Child Health Plus and the Essential Plan through the Marketplace all year. For more information about the NY State of Health Marketplace, please visit: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov or call Customer Service at 1-855-355-5777, TTY: 1-800-662-1220 or find an enrollment assistor.