Press Release: One Stop Shopping: NY State of Health Partners with State Department of Agriculture and Markets to Educate New Yorkers About Affordable Health Coverage
Jun 10, 2015
ALBANY (June 9, 2015) - NY State of Health (NYSOH), the state’s official health plan Marketplace, and the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM) have partnered to educate New Yorkers about getting health insurance coverage through the Marketplace by having NYSOH information available at hundreds of farmers’ markets stretched across the state.
“We’re proud to partner with the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets and with local farmers’ markets to raise awareness about affordable health insurance through the Marketplace,” said NYSOH Executive Director Donna Frescatore. “Collaborating with New York’s farmers’ markets is a natural move; we’re both in the business of making New Yorkers healthier. This statewide initiative has the potential to reach both employees of the agricultural industry as well as the consumers they attract.”
“There’s an increasing number of farmers’ markets popping up across the state and the demand tells us that New Yorkers absolutely value having access to nutritious, farm-fresh foods,” said State Agriculture Commissioner Richard A. Ball. “We’re happy to work with NY State of Health to help ensure New Yorkers have the right information about affordable health coverage, and thank our farmers’ markets for providing the opportunity to share these important resources on-site.”
The partnership is encouraging New Yorkers to lead healthier lives through the purchase of fresh foods and ensuring affordable, quality health coverage. NYSOH and NYSDAM are working with market managers to distribute NYSOH information at more than 450 farmers’ markets statewide, which helps provide customers with a one-stop shop for healthy living.
In person assistors will also be available at select farmers’ markets throughout the summer to answer questions about coverage through the Marketplace, help people apply during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) if they qualify, or get ready to apply when the next open enrollment period begins on November 1, 2015.
Assistors will be at the following farmers markets:
- Gansevoort Farmer’s Market Main Street at Catherine Street, Gansevoort, NY 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. June 11, July 9
- South Glens Falls Farmer’s Market Village Park, Spring Street, South Glens Falls, NY 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. July 6
- Fort Edward Farmer’s Market 359 Broadway, Route 4 Fort Edward, NY 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. June 12, July 10
- Hudson Falls Farmer’s Market 1161 Dix Avenue, Hudson Falls, NY 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. July 7
- Whitney Young Health Center 920 Lark Drive, Albany, NY 11 a.m. – 12 noon July 7
- Steinmetz Homes 120 Emmons Street, Schenectady, NY 11 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. June 13, July 11
- Steamboat Square Apartments 20 Rensselaer Street, Albany, NY 1:15 p.m.- 2 p.m. June 13, July 11
- Sanctuary for Independent Media 6th Avenue and 101st Street, Troy NY 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. June 13, July 11
- Schenectady Greenmarket Jay and Franklin Streets near City Hall, Schenectady, NY 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. July 26
- Union Square Green Market E. 17th Street and Broadway, New York, NY 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. June 12, July 10
- Columbia Square Green Market W. 114th Street and Broadway, New York, NY 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. June 14, July 12
- Downtown Buffalo Country Market Buffalo Place, Main Street between Court and Church Streets, Buffalo, NY 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. July 2, Sept. 1, Oct. 6
To be eligible for an SEP, consumers must notify NYSOH within 60 days of a qualifying life event. Those without an SEP qualifying life event may enroll in a health plan through NY State of Health beginning on November 1, 2015.
For more information on how to enroll, call at 1-855-355-5777, visit our website at nystateofhealth.ny.gov, or find an enrollment assistor.
To learn more about Special Enrollment Periods, visit http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/SpecialEnrollmentPeriods and watch a video explaining qualifying life events.
For a list of NYSOH events throughout the summer, visit http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/events.
New York opened its Health Plan Marketplace, NY State of Health, in October 2013. The Marketplace’s one-stop health insurance shopping experience offers high quality comprehensive plans for consumers to choose from. NY State of Health is the only place where consumers can qualify to get help paying for coverage through premium discounts or tax credits. The NY State of Health Small Business Marketplace for employers is open to enrollment throughout the year. Eligible New Yorkers can also enroll in Medicaid or Child Health Plus through the Marketplace all year. For more information about the NY State of Health Marketplace, please visit https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/ or call Customer Service at 1-855-355-5777.
Contact: New York State Department of Health
518 474 7354, ext. 1